Saturday, July 04, 2009

tita cher and the pig fetuses

tita cherry had agreed to give us pig fetuses and some candles. we had paid her; they were passed down to us from an altar. but there were hungry tigers in the congregation, and they chewed the fetuses up on the way, although the candles were okay. i was upset about the chewed up pig fetuses and confronted her. I asked her, what would YOU expect if you paid $100 for something. she smiled helplessly and shrugged her shoulders as she usually does when she thinks i'm totally wrong but she can't persuade me.
---
tita cher is herself, with all the promises that medicine would meet my needs, assuming mine are the same as the family's -- but mine are not. they are ego needs, vs. the economic needs of my family who were raised in the philippines. she thinks i should do med school in the philippines to save money. good point, as i hate debt, but what am i giving up if get into school here but decide to go to ph anyway?
earlier as part of the seven stories exercise, i'd written how proud i was to enjoy the dissection of pig fetuses in bio. the pig fetuses represent my goals to do surgery; the wolves are my tita cherry's perspective, and perhaps my own realism, attempting to destroy in my dreams which i have begun to invest in. That investment includes my own opening up to tita cher.

No comments: