Sunday, January 24, 2016

A look back. My blogging history

(Stephen, this post is for you, as you're the only person I know who has blogged since the early/mid 90s besides me.)

This is emblematic of the "partnership" I feel with Stephen that I've had with no other 'real' boyfriend. After reading his organized, archived blogs that date way back, he's inspired me.

A brief history:

  • Heard my first "internet connection" briefly via phone dialing to another computer at Brandi's dad's computer. Fourth grade, 1984.
  • Discovered the internet via email, IRC and Gopher on Columbia U's Unix back in 1992. Created my first personal web site on Unix, which also contained my first blog posts. 
  • Argued about Christianity & religion on IRC, as I'd converted via ICOC in my sophomore year. Transferred the personal web site to Geocities.com, but lost it + the blog when Geocities shut down in 2009 :(
  • Obsessed with my first blog - a crazy teenage chick who whined about high school and wrestled her own domain from her mother - while I was working at NYU Med Center (1997-8). Started debating about religion on delphiforums.com, where I made my first online only friends at ICC Discussion Forum.
  • First online dates happened around 2002 after I broke up with Jay. Began with an UWS dating coffee shop that had binders with profiles, which transitioned online. Joined Nerve+Lava Life, later OKCupid when Nerve shut down; then the apps came along (Tinder, Hinge, the League). Never met a real boyfriend online (until recently)!
  • Started an anti-ICOC blog in 2002, when the church started falling apart, summarizing some of the Delphi discussion. (Actually made money off it with Google Adwords!) 
  • Joined Friendster which I was obsessed with til it shut down. Then MySpace, then Facebook in 2003, where I found old Harvard friends.
  • Facebook became an obsession when it took off.  Still is. Joined Twitter in 2009. 
  • Not counting Facebook and Twitter, total of 11 blogs. 
  • I'll be online a while. There it is, in one place. Thanks Stephen :)

No comments: